“Random encounters with the unusual” is a repository for the oddities that me and Mrs J have encountered on our travels, which we find interesting or amusing in some way. Have a look, maybe you will find something interesting or amusing herein.

Friday 29 March 2013

A Boob Jar

The piece of pottery pictured below caught my eye during a visit to the National Museum of Scotland. The caption that accompanied the jar stated that it is dated from circa 1400-1200 years BC.  It also noted that mothers milk was believed to have healing properties and that a sick child might have been given milk from a jar like this.

When I saw this jar I wondered if the Great Ormond Street Hospital would ever administer milk to one of its patients in such a jar. Sadly however I doubt it!



Picture, Edinburgh (October 2011).

If you find this post interesting please share it using the buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment